top of page

Loss of Use coverage

What is loss of use coverage?

What is loss of use coverage?

Loss of use coverage is the portion of your home insurance policy that helps pay for additional living expenses if your house was ever badly damaged by a covered peril causing you to move out temporarily while it was repaired.

What type of additional living expenses would be covered? 

If your house is ever severely damaged by a covered loss  and you're forced to relocate temporarily, additional living expenses can help pay for you to maintain your normal standard of living. Some things that may be covered: 

Hotel stays

Temporary rentals

Additional fuel or mileage expenses 

Additional grocery or restaurant bills

Rental cars

Transportation costs

Storage units

Daycare costs 

Pet boarding

When does loss of use coverage get used?

You can typically only take advantage of loss of use coverage if your home is damaged by a peril that is covered under your home policy. This typically includes:

Fire and smoke


Water damage from burst pipe


Falling objects


Weight of ice, snow, or sleet

Volcanic eruption

Learn more about other coverages

Personal Property

Learn More

Other Structures


Learn More
bottom of page