top of page

Other Structures Coverage 

What is other structures coverage?

What is other structures coverage?

Other structures coverage is the part of your homeowners insurance that helps pay for damage to structures on your property that aren't attached to your house.

Examples of structures that typically fall under other structures coverage

Detached garages

Separate guest houses

Detached patios or decks

In-ground pools

Driveways and walkways 




How much coverage do I have for other structures?

How much coverage you need always depends on your particular situation but most companies will start with 10% of your dwelling coverage limit. That means if your home dwelling coverage is $350,000, you would see $35,000 in other structures coverage. Some companies allow you to increase this if needed.

What is typically covered by other structures coverage?

Other structures on your property are usually protected against the same disasters and losses as your house is. While coverage can vary from state to state or from one geographical region to another, homeowners policies typically help cover damage from the following events:

  • Fire/smoke

  • Lightning strikes

  • Windstorms

  • Hail

  • Explosion

  • Vandalism

  • Theft

  • Damage caused by the weight of snow, sleet or ice

  • Falling objects

  • Damage from an aircraft

  • Damage from a motor vehicle

While these hazards are typically covered by home insurance policies, you should always check your own home insurance policy to be sure of what it covers 

Learn more about other coverages

Personal Property

Learn More

Additional Living Costs

Learn More


Learn More
bottom of page